Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Can I use ordinary plant oil, - like olive oil, to protect lithium from rapid oxidation?

Can I use ordinary plant oil, - like olive oil, to protect lithium from rapid oxidation? The book I read all mentioned Lithium, Potassium, Sodium - these ';superactive'; metals being stored in mineral oil, ive seen some Sodium in mineral oil myself, it protects well from oxidation, but how about olive oil? would it work. I think it would :/ need some confirmationCan I use ordinary plant oil, - like olive oil, to protect lithium from rapid oxidation?
It is unwise. Vegetable oils are esters of fatty acids with glycerol. The lithium metal could react with ester linkages by reducing them. Not only would this consume lithium, but it might develop enough heat to become dangerous.





Mineral oils are long-chain saturated hydrocarbons that are inert to lithium.Can I use ordinary plant oil, - like olive oil, to protect lithium from rapid oxidation?
Probably, all I think you need is for it not to be soluble in air or water to prevent oxidation. In which case any oil without detergents work.

No comments:

Post a Comment