Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I have a 5'x2' bed I want to plant beans in, but someone poured automotive oil in it. What should I do?

The previouse resident poured like a gallon of wast automotive oil in my raised 5'x2' planting bed about two months ago. I don't see any residue. Should I do anything to the soil before I plant string beans in it?I have a 5'x2' bed I want to plant beans in, but someone poured automotive oil in it. What should I do?
Yeah, I highly suggest you dump out the all potting soil, as it is now consider toxic waste. Especially since you don't know how the person poured the oil, you should get rid of the soil at least two feet deep and all the surrounding soil. I am assuming you will consume the beans that you grow?? Unless its just flowers or something like that, its a risk if you get poisoned from this... Are you willing to end up in the hospital or get cancer in the long-run from somthing so preventable? Automotive oil is carcinogenic. Is there another plot you can plant your beans maybe? Hope this helps.I have a 5'x2' bed I want to plant beans in, but someone poured automotive oil in it. What should I do?
First I would find out how far has it spread if possible. Luckily for oil is a pretty slow moving product, but still the sooner its corrected the less it has spread. Because, I wouldnt consider in place cleaning cause of the high costs. I'd just dig out the oily dirt, have it properly disposed of (kinda costly), or mix it in a moveable pot (wouldnt put it somewhere else in the ground thats contaminating 2 places) that wont overflow, with plenty of topsoils and stuff and plant some non edible, robust plants. Plants and bugs that live with them naturally sometimes absorb the oil (very slowly but surely), but they wont be edible.





I'd make sure that there is no free product (oil) in the bean garden, but its probably too hard to clean, Id just remove and replace it.





Im by no means an expert or qualified to give an expert opinion, thats just what I would do....

No comments:

Post a Comment